Friday, January 18, 2008

A salad, some chocolate and a bookstore...

You are all so amazing to be pumping me up after my Macy-Sue's untimely demise at the hands of an agent today. So many comments and emails of building me up and encouraging me to not give up! Thank you! I have to tell you though, this is not my first attempt at the submissions game - I have been submitting (for 2 years) a variation of 15-20 picture books, a chapter book, a crafting book and a few inspirational books for women. Boy, how I could have used you all along the way. Although I have had well over 100 rejections, God tells me this is His plan for me, to touch more lives then I could ever imagine. So, in order to win the favor of my Father, I should get my life in order, right? I struggle with this. I am a very intense person when I get an idea and I have a hard time focusing on anything but the project ahead of me. On most days, the baby's nap time is my computer time. I may blog, research or just waste time clicking my acrylic nails across the keyboard on my DELL-friend. Yesterday, I sent my Macy-Sue book dummy off to the agent via email and got to work...not on my computer but in our office. I straightened, reorganized and set up an extra table for my scrapbooking and art supplies. I set up the kids' computer on that table and dusted the areas that I had cleared...although it was with the sleeve of my torn sweatshirt I was wearing at the time... but things were dusted nonetheless. Today, while I was out running errands (actually, I was mailing Heather from Rice-A-Roni-ville her bumblebee painted gourd as her prize for guessing cheese in my last "What's in the Lunchbox" game) I passed a few fast food places and thought how great it would feel to sink my teeth into something bad for me while I agonized over whether I was getting voted off the agent-island or staying for another round. I felt God's gentle nudge telling me to glorify my body with what I put into it. I was starving and making a salad when I got home was not going to happen so I opted for an Arby's salad. I ate most of it - it was yummy...I LOVE SALAD! My 2-year old decided he needed to have some to and he proceeded to take large mouthfuls, chew a bit and spit it out back in my bowl. Rather than eating previously chewed lettuce mush, I grabbed a Cadbury raisin & nut bar and ate most of it. How is that glorifying my body? Yeah, I am not sure either but man it tasted good! I promised God yesterday that no matter the answer from the agent, I would praise Him and be thankful for the opportunity. I do. I am. Tonight we had a babysitter and my dear sweet hubby and I went to our favorite restaurant, VIVA and headed to the jewelers to pick up my mother's ring the kids bought me for Christmas...IT IS SO PRETTY!!!! Their names are engraved on the band next to their birthstones with a special "We love you Mom" message on the edge that faces me. Then he drove us over to my favorite place in the whole world besides snuggling with my kidlets in my big comfy bed...BARNES & NOBLE!!! I sat with my notebook (and my sweet husband)at one of those mini-picnic tables in the children's section and jotted away. Ken read motorcycle magazines with his kneecaps embedded deep in his nostrils from the 6" tall benches we were sitting on. I scribbled names of publishers, authors and websites. I also had the honor of paging through The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick...the newest Caldecott Award winner!!!!! AMAZING! 239 pages of illustrations with an amazing story spread throughout! VERY COOL! VERY INSPIRING! So, happily I go back to the drawing board and make Macy-Sue SPARKLE! Show me your BLING baby girl!!

11 comments:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I may never eat an Arby's salad again! I usually go for Wendy's anyway.

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

I'm proud of you for not giving up. I feel it in my bones that Macy Sue has a future. I can't wait to rec'v my prize! Proud you ate SOME salad. I had a dream last night that I was at Barnes and Noble and was trying to get this new book that had just come out. Memory Keeper was it's name (don't ask me why?) but anywho....someone in the store distracted me by ramming me with their shopping cart, meanwhile all the books were taken off the shelf while I nursed my "ramming wounded leg". I wonder if subconsiously I was trying to get YOUR book off the shelf. We'll never know....I hardly ever remember my dreams, but this one was vivid.

Shellie said...

At least it had raisins and nuts, they're healthy. DON'T give up, just keep working at it, in the end it will all work out!

Just-Me-Jen said...

Keep writing, keep drawing, keep submitting. I'm sure every other successful author out there can tell you about the hundreds of rejections they had before that magical "yes".

Suburban Correspondent said...

Ha! My husband and I do that on dates, also - a bite to eat and then off to Barnes and Noble. Glad to hear we're not the only ones...

Thanks for stopping by my blog...

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

You have such a positive attitude....I love that!

Date nite with hubby....sound marvelous!

Mary said...

Have you tried a Luna Bar? Yummy and the kids hate 'em! ::wink wink::

Glad your book is making the rounds, she'll find the right publisher yet.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the quotes I'm framing for my son's room: "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life.

That is why I succeed!"

Michael Jordan

Don't ever give up on your dream!

Michelle Kemper Brownlow said...

Julie,
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the perspective!!!!!!

Alison said...

I love your positive attitude!! That alone will get you far in life!

Anonymous said...

TMI alert: you didn't mention if your usual bookstore relaxation affliction struck...

But besides that, keep looking forward. I think it works for you.