Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mama Drama...

Magnum of NyQuil for Mommy- $13.49 Box of travel tissues - $1.79 Bag of "bribe" sweets for toddler- $1.99 Taking a 2-yr old to the Walk-In clinic when Mommy is sick - INSANITY! (This is going to be a long post - so grab your favorite libation and a cushion for your bum and Depends if you pee when you laugh, because you WILL laugh!) It all started Friday night when the mini-cold I had turned into a horrible sore throat. You know that kind that you want to take something for it but you can't even swallow your own spit, let alone a couple of Advil. That retching pain that makes you actually consider putting a spittoon next to your bed so you don't HAVE to swallow. That off-the-charts pain that would cause you to say "yes" to anything your children asked for because a nod would be easier than the ensuing amount of begging you would have to endure if you said "no." Quite honestly, I barely remember the weekend. My husband took over and I merely existed. I am not the lay in bed kind of patient. I would rather be in the mix than off in a room away from the family. And, I rarely go to the doctors. I think I had tonsillitis about 4 or 5 years ago and that got me in pronto, but other than throwing my back out, I haven't been back. Until yesterday. I stuck it out as long as I could. But my mom once told me of an untreated strep-throat case gone bad...she's a hairdresser so she gets all the gory details of things like this...so I decided to go...but NOT alone, unfortunately. I had to have my older two children at school an hour early for a field trip so, I literally rolled out of bed, fed everyone and jumped in the car to drop off my field-trippers and head to the walk-in clinic. I hadn't changed my sweats, washed my face, brushed my teeth or even looked in a mirror for that matter. I was promptly greeted by a career-dressed, obviously-showered and very-well-put-together former high school acquaintance who apparently did not recognize me behind my mascara-raccoon eyes, stained sweat shirt and wiggling toddler. So, what do I do? I say, "Deb? Right? Michelle. How are you?" I couldn't leave there having her think that I not only had lost my cheerleader looks but my memory, too. She was sweet and handed the baby a ball to keep him occupied until I got called in. Well, that ball touched every human in the waiting room. Mostly their feet, thank goodness! I chased him from the handy push-button water fountain to the exit door about a thousand times. Apparently, when travelling at the height of toddler speed a wee one can throw his whole 27 lbs hard enough to open the exit door. Each time this happened, the door would make the annoying "ding-dong" sound. The desk receptionist would come with her "how are you?" smile posed and ready. I smile back with my "Oh gosh, I am so sorry, again!" half-smile, half-grimace. She would return a "read that baby a book" grin and I was off toward the water fountain. "MICHELLE BROWNLOW?" I scooped up the baby and walked toward the woman who had just called my name. I think my lips were actually puckering because I was so excited to not have to run, chase, scold and whimper in public. Send me to a little room where I can control my child a little easier. Close the door behind you and I will be just fine. Who the heck was I kidding?! The next 45 minutes consisted of hands in the trashcan, back in the mouth, playing the chase game while I frantically tried to get hand-sanitizer on his clenched little fists. There was screaming and whining as I tried to convince him we should read (he cried a little, too). A child who spent 13 months trying to walk now decides he MUST crawl ALL THE HECK over the floors that have probably been peed and pooped on...oh gosh, I gag at the thought. As soon as I pick him up to wash his hands....they go IN HIS MOUTH! Why is this? OK, so about 20 minutes into this chaos ensuing behind Door#3, I decide to use one of his fears against him. I know, mean, but I was desperate, people! He is fearful of heights. So, I grab a book and plop him on the L-shaped exam table so my aching body could stand still for more than 2.5 seconds. Because the L-shape was a little reclined, the fear fled and his voice jumped 3 octaves into a squealing "Wwwhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" He thinks it is a SLIDE. God help me! He turns toward the reclining back, throws his hands to the top and starts to run, trying to get to the top. You know that white roll of paper that covers the table? The actual roll is hung from the back of the table, his hands are on either side of the top of the strip running to the end of the table and his little sneakers are going WARP SPEED flinging the white strip behind him as though it is the smoke from his super shoes. I think we killed a full acre of rain forest in 6 seconds. But I got to stand still. The other 25 minutes were less than enjoyable so I put on our coats and left the building. "But, ma'am, the doctor will see you in two minutes." "Suuuuuuure, he will! Not falling for it nurse-lady!" I have a babysitter and an appointment for tomorrow. Which is a good thing considering I now have red blistery patches along my back that I think are SHINGLES! Lord, help me!

9 comments:

Kara said...

Oh no, sounds like a horrible day! I hate having to wait in dr offices with my boys, they don't do well in closed rooms. I hope your next appt goes better.

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Hi Michelle,

You poor, poor thing, sounds awful! Memories are coming back to me from when my kids were little like that and I would get sick, no fun that's for sure. Listen, I'm not a nurse and I have no medical training, but from what you described (the blisters on your back) you could have scarlet fever. People don't get it much anymore, but it is a complication of Strep that is untreated. Hope all goes well and you are feeling better soon. Take care!
p.s. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a message!

ACB said...

Ugh, I hate to say it but don't get your cooties on me LOL I hope that your appointment goes better sans-toddler. They just don't get it, do they? Adult doctor/nurses. I suppose they're mumbling, "And THIS is why I didn't go into pediatrics!". Yeah, well deal with it right?!! Get well soon! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

Oh girl, I've had days like that too. Like yest. trying to keep my 3yr old quiet in the waiting room at the hospital while he wailed on every plant, electrical outlet, chair, trashcan, etc...with his "giant candy cane" that I bought him at hobby lobby....what the hell was I thinking...
Did you see my candy corn eating post from this morning?

Michelle Kemper Brownlow said...

It thrills me to NO end that I am not alone in this battle!

Thanks gals!

Maria (also Bia) said...

I can so identify with you when you describe your toddler crawling all over the floor at the doctor's office. Horrors! I am cringing as I write this. When we go I still keep my toddler strapped in his stroller so he won't touch anything. And speaking of that white paper on the examining table . . . on one visit I brought some crayons so my toddler could draw on that paper, but he pushed to hard that there were purple crayon marks all over the tan table! Sheesh.

House of Jules said...

That sounds like the day from hell. I'm so sorry you had to go through that (including seeing someone from high school days?!) and can't believe that your symptoms have gotten worse (shingles?! OMG!). I hope you're feeling much better very soon!
Jules
House of Jules

Be Inspired Always said...

You are certainly not alone.


We all go through battles each and every day, some people just handle it differently. I think you handled it pretty well.




Jillian

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

Thank you for the laugh. I know it was at your expense but it was much appreciated!
Man, the more I read about your son, the more I have to keep reminding myself that you're not writing about mine!
I will say that I admire your strength because there's no way I would have made it as long as you did!
Feel better soon!