Friday, October 2, 2009

Sanity's Blogtober TIP Parade: 10/02 The Curse of the Calendar!

This is my calendar! One one hand, this magnetized, dry-erase calendar is a dream for scheduling... on the other hand, it actually shoves how stinkin' busy we are in my face every morning. Today, I was curious so I counted... There are 63...yes, SIXTY THREE, things that I am responsible for or places I need to have myself or my kids on any given date. (insert Twighlight Zone music here) This....is....THE CURSE OF THE CALENDAR! MWaaaaaahhh AHhhhhhh AHhhhhhhh! I know I am not alone. And I am SURE there are many of you who have me beat by a mile! I only have three kids. Some of you scribble 4 or more kids games, lessons, projects, events on your calendar each and every month. If that were the case for me, I'd toss the magnetic calendar and just write it directly ON my fridge in dry erase! That's about the SIZE it would need to be to fit it all on! Some of you keep a crazy busy schedule AND WORK outside the home. If that was the case for me, I would need WAY MORE medication than I am already prescribed! I bow down to those women! Truly! I don't know how you do it! So, tips on keeping your head on straight... It's called a DEAR LIFE LETTER... Dear Life, I don't know how we got here. I'm certain this is not where we saw ourselves 10 years ago. What happened to all the walks in the park, the lemonade on the porch of our beach house, the hours we would spend just reading or chatting with a loved one? Why haven't I sat down yet today? What do you expect from me? I would love to tell you that I quit, but, quitting LIFE is never a good idea! So, all I am asking is that you just take it easy on me and remind me when I need to slow down. Thanks! Me Seriously though, we all preach to our kids about time management! We give them the necessary tools to "just say no"! We teach them how to prioritize! We need to slow down long enough to take my our own advice! Could it be that simple? Manage time + just say no + priorities= Complete and utter Bliss? Well, it may not be THAT SUNSHINY...but we can dream, right? What are YOUR TIPS for holding it together while succumbing to The Curse of the Calendar? Remember the rules: Leave your comment and tip below. Then post a similar story and tip on your blog. Twitter, Facebook it! Leave a link to me. Invite your readers to join the BLOGTOBER TIP PARADE! 30 days of tips from moms just like you! **If you are having trouble SEEING your calendar...CHECK THIS OUT...Hot Mama Glasses!** Peace.

4 comments:

KathyB said...

Mine looks like that, but bigger, and color coded...green for soccer, red for meetings, orange for dr appointments, purple for family functions, blue for my husband's activities, and there's more I'm sure. And don't forget the time it takes to MAKE the calendar every month! Wonder what color that should be? :)

MaBunny said...

I don't have a huge dry erase calendar in my kitchen , but I'm still busy enough. NOt sure how good a tip it is, but I carry my planner EVERYWHERE!!! With being called to substitute at three different campuses, things can get a bit hectic. With my MIL now going to sub too, we are going to have to make sure that ONE of us is at the right campus to get NIcole!!! I can't imagine how nutso a schedule people have with more than one kiddo. Just breathe - it always goes the way it was meant to!

MaBunny said...

Okies Michelle, I linked back to you from my blog - and linked it on FB, and am about to Twitter it !
Hope you get some time to yourself!

Anonymous said...

I use a regular old fashioned calendar with all the months so that I can plan ahead. Mine doesn't have pretty pictures or cute sayings - just plenty of space for writing. My one rule of thumb - no more than one activity per child per day; and no more than two activities during the school/work week. Reasons - Firstly and most importantly I'd go crazy (crazier some might say). Secondly - having a school age child I want him to have enough time to do school work and have an appropriate bed time. Thirdly, we try very hard to have dinner at home during the week and all together (though hubby's schedule doesn't always allow that). Too many activities during the week and dinner together wouldn't be possible.