Monday, June 23, 2008

RELAY FOR LIFE...

DAY ONE:
My three favorite walkers!
What an AMAZING experience! If you have experience RELAY, you know exactly what I mean. If you haven't, make it a point to join in the HOOPLAH! It's one of those surreal experiences that you truly can't explain.
There were friends walking hand-in-hand.
There were kids racing on the track.
There were survivors hugging their families.
There were lots of tears.
There were commemorative T-shirts with faces of cancer.
There was laughter.
There was food.
There was fundraising.
There was HOPE.
This mom was sobbing through her words about her favorite survivor...her daughter!

4/5 of my family.

A bagpipe played AMAZING GRACE as we sat in silence for the Luminaria Ceremony.

My luminarias...I would have liked to have honored every child that inspires me but I could have easily gone broke doing so... just know that they were honored in my heart as I walked the luminaria lap!

DAY TWO:

My good friend, Becky read an amazing tribute to her friend, Meredith who passed away in April. Read Meredith's story here you will be inspired!

I don't know if all RELAYS do this but at ours you could buy necklaces and you got a bead upon completion of each lap. You get a different colored bead on the 5th lap as that was your mile marker...here are my little walkers showing off their beads!

Here is my friend's son, who walked his little legs off...this little 6-year old has TWO necklaces to hold his 13 miles...THIRTEEN MILES...worth of beads! He walked those miles in CROCS...quite the ad for CROCS, don't ya think?

All in all, it was a fantastic experience! I was sad when the organizers started taking tents down and loading vehicles...I DON'T WANNA BE DONE! I WANNA KEEP WALING! I WANT TO WALK TILL THERE IS A CURE!

Thank you to those of you who donated to my walk. I raised $420.00 and only four donations were people I actually knew! That's AWESOME!!

3 comments:

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

SO COOL...thanks for sharing the pic's from your awesome walk.

Heather

AlaneM said...

That is so awesome Michelle, loved your pictures!

Theresa said...

You're pictures are great. I especially love the luminarias. We have little plastic feet that you collect after you walk 4 laps.

We need to exchange details so I can bring them in front of my committee. Maybe next year I'll stop by for some 1st hand ideas :)

Love T