Monday, March 7, 2011

The "flight" of the butterfly...

I hate to fly.
I hate airplanes.
Those of you who have read my blog for the last few years, you know I took a 35 hour train ride instead of a flight to get to Chicago which would have taken 2 1/2 hours.

But the "flight" I am taking now, I have to say is the most enjoyable of my life.

My inspiration to write this book for teen girls on self-respect has been a ride I know is only beginning but I am anticipating it to be long and thoroughly enjoyable and inspirational.

Self-respect is something that teen girls need to harvest from within themselves. Some teach that you have to earn respect, well, I disagree. I believe we are all born with respect and we have to guard it.

My analogy to a butterfly has become bigger than I had originally assumed it would be. It has become more meaningful to the writing and structure of this book and a group of amazing young women have joined me for the ride.

The Butterfly Girlz is a group of 20+ girls ranging in age from 10-18 from all over the country who will be integral in making this book more authentic than I could. They will be contributing valuable insight that will be life-changing for the girls who will read and journal their way through the finished product.

My vision is to share my insights from this book, stories from the Butterfly Girlz, journalling exercises and above all EMPOWERMENT to girls all over the country. Music, art, writing...it's all a part of the plan.

My favorite part of this vision I have...

shaking the hands of the girls as they leave the room and wishing them well (while praying for each and every one of them).

And that's why I got this yesterday...



and I got it purposely on my right wrist so each girl will see my commitment to this message as we shake hands.

I was thrilled beyond explanation on Friday to receive tweets from Michele Borba, Ph.D., Tricia Goyer and Annie Fox, all commending me on my efforts in this project. Thank you ladies, your work in this field continues to inspire me!

Are you on board? Do you need helpful insight into the world of teen girls? Are you a teacher, a mom, a counsellor, a guardian, a ministry leader? Ask your questions here... obviously I don't know everything, but I will find you an answer, we will help these girls TOGETHER!

Oh, and that silly fear of flying...I am working on that, I won't let that stop me from empowering our girls!

Peace out, Mamas!


1 comment:

Kayla Williams said...

This is absolutely amazing, you are such a great and inspirational women to me and have touched so many peoples lives beyond belief including mine! This is one of the many reasons why you are my hero! Love you Mrs. Brownlow!